Maserati to enter the Formula E Championship in 2023

Italian luxury sports car maker Maserati has decided to enter the Formula E championship, the only motorsport platform where electric cars are used. Maserati plans to compete in Formula E from 2023 as the first Italian brand.

The Italian brand announced on Monday that it will make its grid debut from Season 9 with its new Gen3, which the automaker claims is the fastest, lightest and most powerful Formula E racing car ever.

Similar cars

Gen3 is capable of reaching speeds of up to 320 km per hour.

Maserati’s racing debut was 96 years ago. The first race car with the Trident logo on the hood was the Tipo 26, which debuted on the Targa Florio in 1926, and won first place in its class up to a 1.5-liter capacity.

David Grasso, CEO of Maserati, said, “We are very proud to return to where we belong as champions in the racing world. We are backed by our inherent passion and innovation. We have a long history of world-class excellence in the competition and are ready to drive performance into the future.”

“In the race for more performance, luxury and innovation, the Fulgur is irresistible and is the purest expression of Maserati. That is why we decided to return to racing in the FIA ​​Formula E World Championship, meet our customers in the city centers of the world, and take the Trident into the future,” he added. Grassau.

Formula E president Alejandro Agag said the announcement could be one of the greatest days in the championship’s history. “Having a brand like Maserati, with a racing heritage… ushering in the electric revolution we’re driving is really a great moment for Formula E,” he said.

Mahindra, Nissan, Jaguar, Porsche, DS, owned by Stelantis and Sino-Indian New, will participate in the championship next year. Grasso promised to provide details soon on how Maserati will be involved.

“Formula E will be our technology laboratory to accelerate the development of highly efficient electric powertrains and smart software for our road sports cars,” said Jean-Marc Vino, Head of Motorsports at Stellantis.

Last year, BMW and Audi pulled out of Formula E. Mercedes-Benz will leave motorsport by the end of this year.

.

Leave a Comment